Operation WPW

It’s been nearly a year now that I have been diagnosed with Wolff’s Parkinson White Syndrome (WPW) which is a heart condition. Basically it’s like an abnormal electrical pathway in my heart that makes my heart beat extremely fast (while sitting still it would get up to 183 and my “resting” heartbeat which normal is between 50-80 mines was more like 150) and I would have a hard time breathing, I would get dizzy and almost fall at times, it drained my energy so much that at times I couldn’t even get out of bed. It’s funny because my electrophysiologist said that it was hereditary and that I was born with it and yet I didn’t feel any symptoms until I was 32 years old. Well actually I take that back, about 5 years ago I started feeling like I was out of breath from just walking down the street but of course we won’t really think it’s anything major; I just thought that I was out of shape. But come to find out it was the beginning of my WPW symptoms showing itself. Once I was diagnosed, it seemed as if the WPW had gotten worse. I couldn’t sleep at night because my chest would get really tight and it felt like my heart was beating out of my chest. I always slept sitting up because it made me feel like I was getting some kind of rest even though it really wasn’t working. I live in an apartment and going up one flight of stairs exhausted me after walking up just 3 steps. Things were getting bad and a lot of times I cried myself to sleep because I was too afraid to fall asleep not knowing if I was going to wake up the next day.

Finally the doctor decided it’s time to do a heart ablation and he said that the rates of it going away were extremely high. He is a very reputable doctor and has done this procedure hundreds of times and all over the place, so I was confident that things will be okay, until I heard the risks but everything in life has a risk right? I was happy and scared ‘the day’ had finally come to get the surgery done. Went in and came out and not even 2 hours later it came back. Yes, you heard me right my WPW came back in 2 hours after surgery and I was still laying in recovery. What were the odds of that? We waited 3 months for my heart to heal before taking a look at it again because who knows maybe it was just showing signs that it was there but it was my heart trying to heal and it was right after surgery. 3 months follow up came up and sure enough it was back so that meant we scheduled yet another heart ablation. However, I must say during this 3 month time, my heart beat did not beat as fast, it was down to 150 (as my highest) but the dizziness and tightness was still there and a little worse.

Round two of operation get rid of WPW was underway and for some reason I was even more nervous this time around; probably because I just didn’t know what to expect. Well this time it was a success and doctor kept me in operation room for hours to make sure that it did not come back. Total success? No because now he found that I have sinus tachycardia (no not like your snotty nose kind of sinuses like most people assume) which makes my heart beat naturally at 100 or more but he wouldn’t of been able to diagnose me with that prior because my WPW was the underlying and major problem so he wasn’t able to see anything else. Lucky me, went to my 3 week follow up and WPW still showing no signs. Whew! Doc wanted to treat my sinus tachycardia but I refused as much as he did because I can’t be dealing with possible side effects of depression and getting hit double whammy with depression and a heart condition. I started to feel little things in my chest like still unable to walk up my stairs to my apartment and some chest tightness but I didn’t think anything of it because it takes awhile for your heart to heal. Anyways, finally went for my 3 months follow up and oh my gosh you would not believe it but my WPW is BACK!!!! Why is my heart being so stubborn. I didn’t know if I should be mad or sad once we did the EKG. Doc said that he’s never had to do it more than twice for any of his patients and he looked like he wanted to cry because he knew exactly how I was feeling. But I couldn’t blame him, it’s not his fault, he did what he was supposed to do but it was on how my heart healed which obviously wasn’t very good if it came back. All I could think of is what the heck?! Am I going to live with this thing forever? So guess what… operation WPW number 3 was scheduled.

I actually just came out of Operation WPW just a few days ago and I can tell you that it was the most nerve wrecking one because this time the risk of having a hole in my heart was higher, which means pacemaker or even worse. This time doc was being a little more aggressive with the burning because he did not want it to come back, neither do I. Right now I’m still in recovery and the after pain was worse than the other 2. I can stand up straighter but every time I sit up I get really dizzy and my chest gets tight. It worries me that it could be signs of it being back. Is this always going to haunt me and continuously take over my life? I guess only time will tell.

The first follow up is in 2 weeks, let’s hope that he has good news for me because I’ve already stated that this is the final Operation that I’m going to do because I can’t deal with going through this again even if it means a higher chance of it being gone. It’s stressful, emotional, and the risks get higher and higher. I’m not willing to risk my life, I have kids to think about.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s